Want to to volunteer? Don’t be ignorant. Ask questions, search ex-volunteer blogs, ask for evidence, contact ex-volunteers and ask them questions…
Some questions u can ask before you pay:
1. Are there any infants? (If the answer is yes, you will likely be contributing to a very cruel trade industry)
2. Where do the animals come from? (If they are being bred, you should ask WHY? And then research the answer)
3. How much physical contact will I have with the animals? (If it is a true rehab centre then there should be minimal physical contact and preferably by professionals or at least professionals present)
4. What happens to the animals when they adults? (It doesn’t matter what the answer is, ASK FOR PROOF! Research the proof and make sure it’s not a lie)
5. Will I be doing work a local South African should be doing and earning money from? (Don’t support projects that makes the poor poorer by you paying the project owners money to volunteer when they should be paying an unemployed South African a salary to do the job!!!!)
Be INFORMED and help fight for CHANGE!!!!